baslinux - Re: [BL] USB modem and wireless, was Development Tools for BL (fb)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB modem and wireless, was Development Tools for BL (fb)
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 17:09:20 +0000 (UTC)

I booted BL3 with my 2.4.19 kernel from debian and it
configured the serial port just fine. But I lost X.

Interesting... another problem with Xvesa. I suggest
you install a proper Xserver (instructions are on the
BL3 homepage).

I don't think that will help. The problem seems to be missing network
support in the Debian kernel. (It wants an extra module but it can't
find modprobe since BL3 does not use it.)

Xvesa needs network support? What line in kernel config should be changed to provide that?

The old computer scene is a lot fun. And it's very economical.
Why buy $1000 hardware, when $20 hardware provides similar
functionality (using appropriate software).

I find my PII-class machine to be overkill for just about anything on
BL. Sindi says that people throw out even newer computers where she
lives.

David

We have a nice 700MHz Tyan from a dumpster, with bad serial port or ports. I think also a bad video card, I forget. College town, rich students.
A faster computer is nice for compiling kernels and busybox, or using dd to clone Windows.