baslinux - Re: [BL] USB modem and wireless, was Development Tools for BL (fb)

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB modem and wireless, was Development Tools for BL (fb)
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 18:47:48 -0800

On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 06:11:44PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Dec 2006, Lee Forrest wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 03:26:56PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:
> >
> >[delete]
> >
> >>USB to Serial Adaptor, sold online for $20,
> >
> >Where? I couldn't find one for less than $90.

[delete]

> Try also ebay.

Had a friend who lost thousands on ebay. Package came with junk
in it. Turned out paypal is owned by ebay and nothing was ever
done about the ripoff. The 'seller' vanished, though I'm sure he's
operating again under a different name.

But ebay-paypal keep on spamming him like crazy. He decided
to ditch that credit card.

Wouldn't touch it with gloves on.

> >It, and every low-profile, 3.3V PCI RS232, single-port card
> >I have been able to find says it will only work with 2.4+
> >kernels.
>
> I am using BL3 with a 2.4.31 kernel so that USB-storage will
> work posted several kernels and configs and can modify one
> for you.

That's neat. May take you up on it. I booted BL3 with my 2.4.19
kernel from debian and it configured the serial port just fine.
But I lost X. Otherwise everything seemed to be fine.

> >Thanks for info. If I can get a $20 usb-serial adaptor, I'll
> >go that route for now. If I have to spend $90 I'll just start
> >buying up 486's wherever I can find them.
>
> At the curb. People here are giving away 500Mhz pentiums.

It'll take me a while to tune into the old computer scene. All
the stores I know push the new stuff and are scornful of the old
stuff.

Lee