baslinux - Re: [BL] 486s

  • From: "Samual Acorn" <sam.acorn AT gmail.com>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] 486s
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 08:03:59 -0600

On 15/12/06, Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 04:43:01AM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:
> >I can tell from your post here, and Sindi's, that my timeline
> >was off by a lot. :-\
> >
> >But keep in mind that I'm talking about Unix, not DOS/Windows
> >etc. Working computers, not entertainment computers.
>
> My DOS computer was a work computer. I had to learn to send files by
> modem the day after the computer arrived, before there was email or
> internet. It was an art.

_You_ may have been using it for work, but it was created
by yuppies interested in making money by appealing to the
mindless entertainment market. It didn't even include networking,
originally. It was made to play games.

the commodore 64 -- made in 1982 -- was more of a gaming machine than
a 486 (hardware accelerated graphics and sound... much like a game
console) and it could be used for business and networking as well (AOL
started out on -- of all systems -- the commodore 64)

btw, DOS has supported networking as far back as the original 8088...
with a card made by intel itself (10 base 2 anyone?)

At the same time, Unix was networking all over the world with
uucp and the like.

on computers that noone could afford... if it were then the days of
the dial-in BBS would have never existed... this was before the 486
btw -- but it did last into the 486s lifetime and dial-ins still exist
today (www.usbbs.org) ... youre getting your years mixed up...

Thanks for the info on compiling.

Lee

--sam