baslinux - Re: [BL] USB modem and wireless, was Development Tools for BL (fb)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB modem and wireless, was Development Tools for BL (fb)
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 15:20:27 +0000 (UTC)

I booted BL3 with my 2.4.19 kernel from debian and it
configured the serial port just fine. But I lost X.

Interesting... another problem with Xvesa. I suggest
you install a proper Xserver (instructions are on the
BL3 homepage).

Most of my kernels work with the xfbdev that David Moberg compiled (but rivafb crashes if you switch vts without unloading X and riva does not work well with the standard xvesa). It also does not work in 8-bit color. But you can easily use fbset to switch resolutions before loading X, with a different resolution for each vt.

It'll take me a while to tune into the old computer scene.

The old computer scene is a lot fun. And it's very economical.
Why buy $1000 hardware, when $20 hardware provides similar
functionality (using appropriate software).

Why buy 486s when people are throwing out 500MHz pentiums?
My 100MHz with 24MB RAM booted 10 times as fast as the neighbor's 2GHz with at least 512MB mostly wasted by Fedora loading crond etc. (which he says he might some day want to use). And it worked equally badly with wireless, but did so faster.