baslinux - Re: [BL] 486s

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] 486s
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 23:25:49 -0800

On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 04:43:01AM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:
> >I can tell from your post here, and Sindi's, that my timeline
> >was off by a lot. :-\
> >
> >But keep in mind that I'm talking about Unix, not DOS/Windows
> >etc. Working computers, not entertainment computers.
>
> My DOS computer was a work computer. I had to learn to send files by
> modem the day after the computer arrived, before there was email or
> internet. It was an art.

_You_ may have been using it for work, but it was created
by yuppies interested in making money by appealing to the
mindless entertainment market. It didn't even include networking,
originally. It was made to play games.

At the same time, Unix was networking all over the world with
uucp and the like.

Thanks for the info on compiling.

Lee