baslinux - Re: [BL] ERROR 30:R/O file system - loop BL3 with 2.4.31 kernels

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ERROR 30:R/O file system - loop BL3 with 2.4.31 kernels
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 04:42:54 +0000 (UTC)

sindi keesan wrote:

What did you do other than type 'start'?

ifconfig eth0
ping

I have typed ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2 and ping does not work

but eth0: New link status: Connected (0001)

then route default gw 192.168.1.1 which did not help. dhcp - Sending
discover (over and over)

ping www.grex.org - Unknown host.

My neighbor (who has a wireless PCI card but no little box that broadcasts a signal - WAP?) picked up dozens of neighborhood network connections with XP, most of them secure, and we chose one and copied the default gateway IP (192.168.1.1) and local IP (192.168.1.103 or I also tried .1.2).

We tried filling these in on the Win98 laptop but it could not get ANY signal. The linux computer got a strong signal but no connection. It helped to be on the second floor in between two houses with broadband. Maybe it picked the strongest signal, which was a secured network in the nearest house. How would one scan for available connections in BL and choose one?

I used the same numbers above. I really do not know what I am doing.

We downloaded a 5MB trial driver for PCMCIA adapters that might work with our ISA one in the Windows 98 desktop. Most of it is PDF file.

He then attempted to look for connections with Fedora (he had the 4 CDs installed) but Fedora did not find any connections. It was rather slow to boot on a computer 20 times as fast as my BL3 laptop. I booted in about 1/5 the time or less. He had lots of man pages for dhcpd.

I tried this first because at the library I would also have to fill in some sort of password (ESSID?). How does linux handle that?

The manuals are full of unknown vocabulary. Has anyone use BL or any wireless linux at a public library with password, or an internet cafe without password?