baslinux - Re: [BL] ERROR 30:R/O file system - loop BL3 with 2.4.31 kernels

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ERROR 30:R/O file system - loop BL3 with 2.4.31 kernels
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 00:02:28 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Steven, have you successfully used an orinoco wireless
pcmcia card with 2.2.26 and your modules?

No. I got the config for orinoco wireless from a HOWTO.
It might not be correct for your card (hence the segfault).

I changed from type=3 station=1 to port-type=1 (for a network with a wireless access point) and no station

I used the same config in another laptop with BL3 ext2 and 2.2.26 segfaulted but 2.4.31 works (read-write) and started pcmcia and inserted all the modules.

I typed ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1

Then I got an error message
error -110 setting multicast list. Do I need one of those?

Then I got a lot of messages still scrolling by:
eth0: New link status: AP in range (0005) (briefly)
eth0: New link status AP out of range (0004) (most of the time)

Even when it is in range I can't ping.

If the signal were constant and strong enough to use what else do I do to use the internet? Do I need a firewall? A 'route' statement with the IP number of the originating computer?

This must be equivalent to Windows (on the desktop before it refused to use the PCMCIA controller) telling me I have 6 or 13% signal strength every few seconds and nothing the rest of the time.

Half an hour ago Windows on the other laptop was getting 0 signal even near a window. That laptop may not work. Linux works in it with a modem but in Win98 the modem connects but will not access websites. (Maybe the provider's DHCP is not working?). And the brightness has started suddenly going way up (power off and on) and there is an A20 intermittent problem affecting himem.

Has anyone used pcmcia wireless with BL?

Yes. I got two ancient netwave cards to work in BL3.
The netwave lines in /etc/pcmcia/config are the actual
ones that worked for me.

You are lucky you did not start with the Linksys WPC11 ver 3.
What did you do other than type 'start'?