baslinux - Re: [BL] ERROR 30:R/O file system - loop BL3 with 2.4.31 kernels

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ERROR 30:R/O file system - loop BL3 with 2.4.31 kernels
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 15:16:44 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

I have typed ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2 and ping does not work

Either the ping is not getting to the target or there
is nothing active at the target end to return the ping.

route default gw 192.168.1.1 which did not help.

Windows set this as the default gateway. Is not the default gateway the computer whose wireless signal I am trying to pick up? Windows also set the local IP number to the same thing but ending in .103 so I tried ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.102 (and 1.2).

There is no point doing that until ping works.

dhcp - Sending discover (over and over)

dhcp is a substitute for ifconfig eth0 [address].
You don't do both.

I thought ifconfig eth0 assigned an IP number to MY computer, and dhcp would detect the IP number of a potential gateway (which Windows said was 192.168.1.1), which I would then assign using route add default gw 192.168.1.1. Similarly to my own wired network, where I could ping www.grex.org and it worked.

ping www.grex.org - Unknown host.

You should ping a numerical address, not a hostname
(unless the hostname is in /etc/hosts).

I could not ping 192.168.1.1 either, just my own IP number.

People at my local bbs are trying to help and said I need supplicant software and SSID (network name - of my local network, or what I am trying to connect to, and what is the MY_PC?) and either DHCP or the IP number of the gateway. And at the library, also WEP or WPA key (which they will give me - what would I do with it?).

Your sample module setup was for ad-hoc mode, using two wireless computers as a network without access point the same way as wired ones with crossover cable. Did you assign a default gw if you used this method? I would need to put ext2 linux on the desktop to try this (or get Win98 to work with the PCMCIA adapter there)..

Time to read the wireless howto, but they usually do things in a much more complicated way so as to automate it. Your pcmcia setup requires fewer files.