baslinux - Re: [BL] Timidity in BL3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Timidity in BL3
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 14:35:22 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 5 Jul 2006, Ron Clarke wrote:

Hi Sindi,

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 00:24:22 +0000 (UTC)
sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

What exactly is a patch, does it have to be 128 instruments? I think it
was derived from the use of patch cords in a Moog synthesizer.

A patch (*.pat) file is for a single instrument and contains actual sound
data, usually in a number of sections in the file, and information for the
player (timidity) on where to start and to loop back to at different
frequency ranges.

What instruments are included in the patches? Could you limit it to just
ordinary orchestral instruments (no more than 20 of them)?

There are 128 named instruments in a set of patches.

Could I myself reduce the size of the 'patch' by deleting anything not
used in an orchestra or symphony band?

If you fiddle around with a patch file you will probably destroy its
functioning, at least partially if not totally.

I guess I should have asked 'can I reduce the size of a set of patches by deleting instruments not used by orchestras or symphony bands?.
And then substituting all high-quality (1MB or larger) patches for the ones that are not deleted? Where could I find single .pat files?

A patch is one instrument and your package has 128 of them?
Can you (as with playmidi -p) specify which instrument to use for each
track and substitute one piano sound for another?

Yes. The easiest way is to edit the configuration file, and direct all pianos to a single piano patch, or all strings to a single string patch, and so on.

symlinks worked too.

But it sort of destroys the whole point of using instrumental patches in the first place - that of giving the music texture and contrast, and making it live. Otherwise you may as well just play a music-box.

I keep running across midi files in which the instrument was apparently not specified at all (according to playmidi -r and my ear). So the Bach cello suites come out on piano, as default. I can't get them to change instrument with playmidi or timidity unless the instrument is specified in the first place. Perhaps I can edit the file with Rosegarden instead.

I need to make BL3 partition bigger before adding sound. Can I run it in
BL2 (with libc.so.5 and libm.so.5 added)? Do I add anything other than
the sound modules for my sound card (sb)?

I have been running timidity in BL2 for a long time. You may have noticed that MIDIs are MY THING, my websites are full of them, so it was one of my first projects when I first started tinkering with BL.

What I meant was will the BL3 timidity work in BL2. It did, with only libc5 added. Your version has far fewer dependencies. Congrats on the successful compilation. I will try to make it work with an .sf2 file in the .cfg file.

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke