baslinux - Re: [BL] Timidity in BL3

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Timidity in BL3
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 07:56:36 +1000

Hi Folks,

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 10:45:12 -0700
"David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com> wrote:

> Ron Clarke wrote:
> >
> > On the net, they only come as collections - usually zipped into one
> > BIG
> > lump.
>
> Are there any _good_ collections of patches that can easily be used
> with your timidity binary?

Yes there are. The best free collection I have found goes under the name
"eawpats", but the URL I have for this is no longer to be found. It was about
23 MB. It was a compendium of several collections. There are others of
varying quality.

> All of the ones I've seen either have missing instruments, or are low
> quality.

Most of the free ones are deficient in one way or another. That is why
one collects from as many sources as possible, and picks the good ones to go
into a "master" set.

> I would gladly waste 100MB if it meant I could get a complete collection of
> patches that sound as
> good as an expensive synthesizer/keyboard.

Yeah, me too !

But I understand that the really, REALLY good ones are very expensive -
there is mention of thousands of dollars for sets that are used by the
recording industry. (Yes, folks ! Those commercial CDs that you enjoy may be
orchestrated, in part, by MIDI tracks !)

I can, over some time, upload what I consider to be good .pat files to my
website, but what is good or low quality is often a matter of personal taste,
as well as the genre of the music played. It may take me a while to do that,
there is a lot of stuff happening here at the moment that is keeping me busy
(not bad stuff, just busy stuff).

Regards,
Ron

--