baslinux - Re: [BL] Timidity in BL3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Timidity in BL3
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 01:37:04 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006, sindi keesan wrote:

Are the patches larger or smaller than the source code? How big are they?

Up to 20 MB. I said BIG !

But I could set up a smaller selection, they just wouldn't sound as
good. say 4 - 7 MB ?

Your package uncompressed to a 600K binary, 128 '.pat' files of which the largest were acpiano and acguitar (about 1MB each), and I bet I could delete most of them and still play orchestral music. One midi file wanted a 'hammond' but settled for something else. A timidity.cfg which pointed at your patches directory and also gravis.cfg. And documentation.

timidity filename.mid - plays without any need for switches, device names, etc. Sounds a great deal better than my 71K AWE sound bank .sbk.

What exactly is a patch, does it have to be 128 instruments? I think it
was derived from the use of patch cords in a Moog synthesizer.

Apparently it is 128 patches in each directory and probably timidity would work with only a subset. I don't play music with bowglass, cabasa, atmosphr or even bongo.

The binary requires only the three basic libc5 files so ought to work in BL2 with libc5 added, but perhaps you could also post the libc6 binary.

Could I myself reduce the size of the 'patch' by deleting anything not
used in an orchestra or symphony band?

Could you choose just ONE piano, one harpsichord, four strings, flute,
piccolo, trumpet, trombone, horn, clarinet, oboe, bassoon, kettle drums,
snare drums (and whatever else I forgot) and make that one patch, or does
it not work that way?

No, it doesn't work like that. If you don't have a patch for the
instrument specified in the MIDI, then that track will be silent.

My midi files don't specify the really odd patches, though one branddenberg concerto called for marimba and celeste.

I will see if there is some way to specify which patch is used for which track.