baslinux - Re: [BL] Timidity in BL3

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Timidity in BL3
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 09:00:52 +1000

Hi Sindi,

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 18:32:15 +0000 (UTC)
sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> To play a Beethoven piano sonata on violin instead of piano:
> timdity -x'bank 0\n0 violin.pat'

That is doing it the hard way. :)

> It also works for Bach on marimba, but not for a Boccherini minuet set up
> with six different tracks (strings). I will experiment.
>
> Is bank 0 the same as track 0?

No.

> aumix requires libncurses.so.3.4 but a symlink to libncurses.so.5.2 works.
>
> Timidity supposedly works with .sf2 soundbanks, how?

I have never tried that, as I prefer to get the best sound I can from the
best patches I can find.

> synthgm.sbk is 71K and could be included in a small timidity package,
> with the larger set of patches separately packaged, and some hints in the
> .cfg file about how to switch. This would make it usable in loop BL3.

Probably. I will have a look at getting timidity to use an .sf2 set.

> You can overwrite any of the .pat files with others of your choice .
> I found a set of four string patches at www.hammersound.net from the
> Florestan String Quartet. It is in sfpack format and probably unpacks to
> sf2. How do I convert .sf2 to .pat ?

I don't know.

> Bach sounds pretty good on marimba.

If you are into Bach, it probably sounds good on almost anything.

However, it should be remembered that the people who sequence MIDIs
choose the instrument patches they specify with care, in an effort to let the
listener get as close an idea of what the sequencer wanted it to sound like.
I know I do. So using a "thinned" collection of patches will fall short of
the sequencer's original created music.

Regards,
Ron

--