baslinux - Re: [BL] Timidity in BL3

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Timidity in BL3
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 09:52:04 +1000

Hi Folks,

On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 16:02:51 +0000 (UTC)
sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> >> Are the patches larger or smaller than the source code? How big are
> >> they?
> >
> > Up to 20 MB. I said BIG !
> >

> > But I could set up a smaller selection, they just wouldn't sound as
> > good. say 4 - 7 MB ?
>
> What instruments are included in the patches? Could you limit it to just
> ordinary orchestral instruments (no more than 20 of them)?

I could, but then it would make so many of the really good MIDIs sound
awful and as a musician I can't bring myself to do that.

> The .sbk and .sf2 files I have contain about 128 'instruments' (marimba,
> celeste, and many things I never heard of)

These instruments are used in jazz and also in Latin stuff.

> Could you choose just ONE piano, one harpsichord, four strings, flute,
> piccolo, trumpet, trombone, horn, clarinet, oboe, bassoon, kettle drums,
> snare drums (and whatever else I forgot) and make that one patch, or does
> it not work that way?

No, it doesn't work like that. If you don't have a patch for the
instrument specified in the MIDI, then that track will be silent.

As it happens, I am currently in the middle of uploading the completed
package to: http://www.ausreg.com/bl/bl3

Warning - it is still a big file, even though I have included only one
128-instrument set of patches, with timidity pre-configured to use those
patches, but it isn't possible to use timidity properly without them. File
size: timidity_bl3.tgz 8595191 (8.2 MB).

If anyone has the patience to download it, can you tell us if it installs
properly - I don't have a test-bed version of BL3 anymore.

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke