baslinux - Re: [BL] Timidity in BL3

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Timidity in BL3
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 08:34:30 +1000

Hi Sindi,

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 01:37:04 +0000 (UTC)
sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> Your package uncompressed to a 600K binary, 128 '.pat' files of which the
> largest were acpiano and acguitar (about 1MB each), and I bet I could
> delete most of them and still play orchestral music. One midi file wanted
> a 'hammond' but settled for something else. A timidity.cfg which pointed
> at your patches directory and also gravis.cfg. And documentation.

If you really have to limit the number of patches, then you edit
gravis.cfg to make similar instruments point to a single patch.

> timidity filename.mid - plays without any need for switches, device
> names, etc. Sounds a great deal better than my 71K AWE sound bank .sbk.

I am not surprised.

> Apparently it is 128 patches in each directory and probably timidity would
> work with only a subset. I don't play music with bowglass, cabasa,
> atmosphr or even bongo.

I have used some of those.

> The binary requires only the three basic libc5 files so ought to work in
> BL2 with libc5 added, but perhaps you could also post the libc6 binary.

I could, if there is any interest.

> My midi files don't specify the really odd patches,

Maybe not the MIDIs you have now, but who knows what you might like to
hear tomorrow.

> though one branddenberg concerto called for marimba and celeste.

There you go. :)

> I will see if there is some way to specify which patch is used for which
> track.

Two obvious ways: edit gravis.cfg, or use a MIDI sequencer to change the
patch numbers in the MIDI file itself.

Regards,
Ron

--