baslinux - Re: [BL] Timidity in BL3

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Timidity in BL3
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 08:22:52 +1000

Hi Sindi,

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 00:24:22 +0000 (UTC)
sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> What exactly is a patch, does it have to be 128 instruments? I think it
> was derived from the use of patch cords in a Moog synthesizer.

A patch (*.pat) file is for a single instrument and contains actual sound
data, usually in a number of sections in the file, and information for the
player (timidity) on where to start and to loop back to at different
frequency ranges.

> >> What instruments are included in the patches? Could you limit it to just
> >> ordinary orchestral instruments (no more than 20 of them)?

There are 128 named instruments in a set of patches.

> Could I myself reduce the size of the 'patch' by deleting anything not
> used in an orchestra or symphony band?

If you fiddle around with a patch file you will probably destroy its
functioning, at least partially if not totally.

> There are lots more that I never even heard of, sound effects, etc.

Yep. :) I have used some, but not all. Yet !

> A patch is one instrument and your package has 128 of them?
> Can you (as with playmidi -p) specify which instrument to use for each
> track and substitute one piano sound for another?

Yes. The easiest way is to edit the configuration file, and direct all
pianos to a single piano patch, or all strings to a single string patch, and
so on.

But it sort of destroys the whole point of using instrumental patches in
the first place - that of giving the music texture and contrast, and making
it live. Otherwise you may as well just play a music-box.

> I need to make BL3 partition bigger before adding sound. Can I run it in
> BL2 (with libc.so.5 and libm.so.5 added)? Do I add anything other than
> the sound modules for my sound card (sb)?

I have been running timidity in BL2 for a long time. You may have noticed
that MIDIs are MY THING, my websites are full of them, so it was one of my
first projects when I first started tinkering with BL.

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke