baslinux - Re: [BL] Timidity in BL3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Timidity in BL3
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 00:24:22 +0000 (UTC)

Are the patches larger or smaller than the source code? How big are they?

Up to 20 MB. I said BIG !

But I could set up a smaller selection, they just wouldn't sound as
good. say 4 - 7 MB ?

What exactly is a patch, does it have to be 128 instruments? I think it was derived from the use of patch cords in a Moog synthesizer.

What instruments are included in the patches? Could you limit it to just
ordinary orchestral instruments (no more than 20 of them)?

I could, but then it would make so many of the really good MIDIs sound
awful and as a musician I can't bring myself to do that.

Could I myself reduce the size of the 'patch' by deleting anything not used in an orchestra or symphony band?

The .sbk and .sf2 files I have contain about 128 'instruments' (marimba,
celeste, and many things I never heard of)

These instruments are used in jazz and also in Latin stuff.

There are lots more that I never even heard of, sound effects, etc.

Could you choose just ONE piano, one harpsichord, four strings, flute,
piccolo, trumpet, trombone, horn, clarinet, oboe, bassoon, kettle drums,
snare drums (and whatever else I forgot) and make that one patch, or does
it not work that way?

No, it doesn't work like that. If you don't have a patch for the instrument specified in the MIDI, then that track will be silent.

A patch is one instrument and your package has 128 of them?
Can you (as with playmidi -p) specify which instrument to use for each track and substitute one piano sound for another?

As it happens, I am currently in the middle of uploading the completed package to: http://www.ausreg.com/bl/bl3

Warning - it is still a big file, even though I have included only one 128-instrument set of patches, with timidity pre-configured to use those patches, but it isn't possible to use timidity properly without them. File size: timidity_bl3.tgz 8595191 (8.2 MB).

I need to make BL3 partition bigger before adding sound. Can I run it in BL2 (with libc.so.5 and libm.so.5 added)? Do I add anything other than the sound modules for my sound card (sb)?

If anyone has the patience to download it, can you tell us if it installs properly - I don't have a test-bed version of BL3 anymore.

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke