baslinux - Re: [BL] Timidity in BL3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Timidity in BL3
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 01:18:55 +0000 (UTC)

I guess I should have asked 'can I reduce the size of a set of patches by
deleting instruments not used by orchestras or symphony bands?.
And then substituting all high-quality (1MB or larger) patches for the
ones that are not deleted? Where could I find single .pat files?

On the net, they only come as collections - usually zipped into one BIG lump. On my hard drive, they are all spread out as individual files. Which ones do you want ?

violin viola cello bass clarinet oboe bassoon flute piccolo trumpet trombone horn tuba harpsichord organ - if larger than what is in GUS2.

The sf2 sound banks apparently come with only 4 patches or even less. There must be some way to extra the .pat files.

I keep running across midi files in which the instrument was apparently
not specified at all (according to playmidi -r and my ear).

Yes, there are a lot like that. Sometimes the original sequencer is at fault and sometimes it is the error of those whe have re-posted the MIDI without knowing what they are doing.

So the Bach cello suites come out on piano, as default.

Piano is the global default for an unassigned track.

Why can't one specify what instrument to use for an unassigned track?

I can't get them to change
instrument with playmidi or timidity unless the instrument is specified in
the first place. Perhaps I can edit the file with Rosegarden instead.

Rosegarden would be the one to use, but it will be helpful if you know which number (1 to 128) each instrument is. Rosegarden will ask for the instrument's number.

Easy to figure out: playmidi -I.

Don't try to edit the MIDI file itself directly, I have destroyed some
MIDIs trying to do it that way.

I should edit copies of them? Do I need to install fonts to edit with the sequence

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke