baslinux - Re: [BL] Timidity in BL3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Timidity in BL3
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 18:32:15 +0000 (UTC)

Is there some way (as with playmidi -p) to specify the instrument other
than symlinking patch files?

To play a Beethoven piano sonata on violin instead of piano:
timdity -x'bank 0\n0 violin.pat'

It also works for Bach on marimba, but not for a Boccherini minuet set up with six different tracks (strings). I will experiment.

Is bank 0 the same as track 0?

aumix requires libncurses.so.3.4 but a symlink to libncurses.so.5.2 works.

Timidity supposedly works with .sf2 soundbanks, how?

synthgm.sbk is 71K and could be included in a small timidity package, with the larger set of patches separately packaged, and some hints in the .cfg file about how to switch. This would make it usable in loop BL3.

You can overwrite any of the .pat files with others of your choice . I found a set of four string patches at www.hammersound.net from the Florestan String Quartet. It is in sfpack format and probably unpacks to sf2. How do I convert .sf2 to .pat ?

Bach sounds pretty good on marimba.