baslinux - Re: [BL] Timidity in BL3

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Timidity in BL3
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 08:47:54 +1000

Hi Sindi,

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 18:07:08 +0000 (UTC)
sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> The BL3 timidity works in BL2 if I add libc5 (three files).

That would be right.

> I downloaded some music and was missing hammond and britepno for 2 midis.
> The former played anyway (part of the music), the latter piece was silent.

I could have included patches for those two instruments, but the
hammond.pat is 588 kb and the britepno.pat is 2.24 MB.

> I was able to symlink to existing files:
>
> ln -s acpiano.pat britepno.pat (in the GUS2 directory)

That should work OK.

> I am playing a Beethoven sonata right now on acpiano. It sounds like a
> small tinny speaker but I can run cables to the stereo receiver. The
> orchestral pieces don't sound as good because the patch files for string
> and wind instruments are much smaller than the 1MB acpiano. Can I
> download separate violin.pat etc?

Yes. Let me know if you want any extra .pat files and I will put them up
on my website.

> I should be able to put together a set of about 20 orchestral and symphony
> band instruments. Ron, perhaps you could post a smaller timidity-bl3.tgz
> (binary, cfg, docs) separately from the patch files and people could
> then separately download your patches or my smaller set or whatever they
> preferred.

That should be possible.

> Is there some way (as with playmidi -p) to specify the instrument other
> than symlinking patch files?

Yes, edit gravis.cfg.

Regards,
Ron