baslinux - Re: [BL] Timidity in BL3 (was: /dev/sequencer and external midi problem)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Timidity in BL3 (was: /dev/sequencer and external midi problem)
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 16:02:51 +0000 (UTC)

I now have timidity running in BL3 also. I downloaded and installed
almost the entire /d1 directory from SW4.0, used a copy of Timidity++
source, and compiled the whole thing. Compiled with no problems. I added
the patches and timidity.config from my BL2 setup, and away we went. I
have MIDIs playing through the SB16 card.

I would offer to make a package for BL3.4, but I don't know how to.
And in any case, the patches alone will make a BIG download.

Are the patches larger or smaller than the source code? How big are they?

Up to 20 MB. I said BIG !

But I could set up a smaller selection, they just wouldn't sound as good. say 4 - 7 MB ?

What instruments are included in the patches? Could you limit it to just ordinary orchestral instruments (no more than 20 of them)?

The .sbk and .sf2 files I have contain about 128 'instruments' (marimba, celeste, and many things I never heard of) and the 3.5MB .sf2 sounds the same to me as the 70K .sbk from Creative.

Could you choose just ONE piano, one harpsichord, four strings, flute, piccolo, trumpet, trombone, horn, clarinet, oboe, bassoon, kettle drums, snare drums (and whatever else I forgot) and make that one patch, or does it not work that way?

AWE is interesting but not really worth listening to except to get some idea how it sounds.

I shall try the same way, and see how I go. :)

Thanks. Sindi

Regards,
Ron