baslinux - Re: [BL] Timidity in BL3

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Timidity in BL3
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 08:24:50 +1000

Hi Folks,

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 14:08:53 -0700
"David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com> wrote:

> Ron Clarke wrote:
> >
> > > Are there any _good_ collections of patches that can easily be used
> > > with your timidity binary?
> >
> > Yes there are. The best free collection I have found goes under the
> > name "eawpats", but the URL I have for this is no longer to be found. It
> > was
> > about 23 MB. It was a compendium of several collections. There are others
> > of
> > varying quality.
>
> I downloaded the eawpats.zip. You are right, these patches do work
> with your timidity. I only had to unzip eawpats and edit the
> timidity.cfg. Then I moved the patches to the
> /usr/local/share/timidity directory (where the old patches were) and
> now timidity uses these patches.
>
> I agree with you; these patches sound better than any other free
> collection. The acoustic grand piano patch sounds great - it could
> pass for a recording of a real piano performance with the right MIDI
> file.

There is a huge collection of ragtime (and classical) piano MIDIs at:
http://www.primeshop..com/midilist.html

> But the strings/violins sound almost as bad as an OPL3; in other
> words, not good.

I agree with that.

Oddly, one of the very best MIDI outputs that I have found is from (would
you believe ?) the Creative sound MIDI driver for SB16 under Win3.1. This is
what I actually use for sequencing, and arranging, my own MIDIs.

If only there was a way to extract *.pat files from that particular
setup.

Regards,
Ron

--