baslinux - Re: [BL] BL 3.40 in qemu image

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL 3.40 in qemu image
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 23:59:53 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, t.maiden AT att.net wrote:

qemu -kernel zimage -append "root=/dev/hda rw" -hda fs.img

As David mentioned, it won't work with zimage. He tried it and it wouldn't boot, and I duplicated his results by trying it on my system. However, if you replace zimage with bzimage (having downloaded Steven's alternate kernel, bzimage.big and renamed it to bzimage), the system will boot with those parameters. David was able to get it to boot like this, and I duplicated his results. So, download the bzimage.big kernel, rename it bzimage, and issue

qemu -kernel bzimage -append "root=/dev/hda rw" -hda fs.img

and I think you're going to see that it will boot you into the 20MB looped filesystem Steven provides. It worked here and also worked for David. For some reason qemu seems to require a bzimage to boot using the -kernel option, and it won't boot using a zimage with that option.

You'll gather that I confirmed your results, David.

James