baslinux - Re: [BL] BL 3.40 in qemu image

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL 3.40 in qemu image
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 17:05:45 -0700

sindi keesan wrote:

[qemu is the 'binary' referred to]

> Could Steven or someone post the relevant information about where to get
> the binary and what other libraries are needed with it, and how to use it
> with FreeDOS and Win98? It is scattered among many postings. Also the
> BL3 image suited for use with qemu - or can we use the DOS-loop fs.img
> plus any bzimage? Someone please summarize.

Here is the original post:

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/baslinux/2006-April/010133.html

To restate the directions, you need these files from Slackware 9.0:

-------------------------------
l/glibc-solibs-2.3.1-i386-3.tgz
l/zlib-1.1.4-i386-3.tgz
l/sdl-1.2.5-i386-1.tgz
l/esound-0.2.29-i386-1.tgz
l/arts-1.1-i386-2.tgz
l/audiofile-0.2.3-i386-3.tgz
-------------------------------

In addition, you need libXext. Get it from Steven's BL3 icewm.tgz
package if you don't already have it.

The QEMU binary is available from its website:
<http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/>. I recommend the latest release
(0.8.0).

Install all 8 of these packages in BL3 with the 'pkg' command, then
start up X and execute qemu from an rxvt. For example, if you have a
DOS boot disk image:

---------------------
qemu -fda FreeDOS.img
---------------------

(This should also work with my USB camera floppy image, although I
haven't tested this yet.)

If you make a hard disk image with dd (large enough to install Windows
98 to), and you have the Windows 98 CD in a CD-ROM drive, you can use
something like this:

qemu -cdrom /dev/hdc -hda DISK_IMAGE -boot d

This will boot from the Windows 98 setup CD if it is in /dev/hdc.

To use James' BL3.4 QEMU image after you unzip it (available from his
site or the BL site):

qemu -hda BL3.4-qemu.img

David