baslinux - Re: [BL] [BL 3.40 in qemu image

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] [BL 3.40 in qemu image
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 15:42:07 +1000

Hi Folks,

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 17:05:45 -0700
"David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com> wrote:

> Here is the original post:
>
> https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/baslinux/2006-April/010133.html
>
> To restate the directions, you need these files from Slackware 9.0:
>
> -------------------------------
> l/glibc-solibs-2.3.1-i386-3.tgz
> l/zlib-1.1.4-i386-3.tgz
> l/sdl-1.2.5-i386-1.tgz
> l/esound-0.2.29-i386-1.tgz
> l/arts-1.1-i386-2.tgz
> l/audiofile-0.2.3-i386-3.tgz
> -------------------------------

I got all those, and they installed withut a whimper. :)

> In addition, you need libXext. Get it from Steven's BL3 icewm.tgz
> package if you don't already have it.

Already got it.

> The QEMU binary is available from its website:
> <http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/>. I recommend the latest release
> (0.8.0).

Got that too. It also installed without complaint, and seemed to find
all its luggage.

> Install all 8 of these packages in BL3 with the 'pkg' command, then
> start up X and execute qemu from an rxvt. For example, if you have a
> DOS boot disk image:
>
> ---------------------
> qemu -fda FreeDOS.img
> ---------------------

Ah ! I need an OS image file. :(

> (This should also work with my USB camera floppy image, although I
> haven't tested this yet.)
>
> If you make a hard disk image with dd (large enough to install Windows
> 98 to),

How does that work ? The man for DD wasn't very clear about generating an
image file.

> and you have the Windows 98 CD in a CD-ROM drive, you can use
> something like this:

I have a Win95 CD (no longer wanted by my Windowing wife).

> ------------------------------------
> qemu -cdrom /dev/hdc -hda DISK_IMAGE -boot d
>
> This will boot from the Windows 98 setup CD if it is in /dev/hdc.

Will it then be able to install extra programs to the image file ?
Such as the Windows software for this flatbed parallel-port scanner ?

I am hoping for a hand-holding, step-by-step guide here folks. :)

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke