baslinux - Re: [BL] [BL 3.40 in qemu image

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] [BL 3.40 in qemu image
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 18:17:50 +1200

Ron Clarke wrote:

> > ---------------------
> > qemu -fda FreeDOS.img
> > ---------------------
>
> Ah ! I need an OS image file. :(

Yes. The one above is an image of a floppy disk (fda).
If you have the floppy version of BL3, you already have
a bootable image:
-------------------
qemu -fda disk1.img
-------------------
That will boot the first BL3 floppy. Press CTRL-C when
it asks for the second floppy. Or you can make an image
of the second BL3 floppy and use that when it asks for
the second floppy.

Alternatively (and simpler), you could download the complete
BL3 image that James did. It is listed at the bottom of the
BL3 homepage. You boot it (after unzipping) without the -fda
parameter.

If you decide to use two floppy images, let me know and I
will tell you how to get the second floppy inserted. It's
not immediately obvious.

> How does that work ? The man for DD wasn't very clear about
> generating an image file.

dd if=/dev/fd0 of=wombat

That puts the image of the floppy in drive A:
into a file called wombat

> Will it then be able to install extra programs to the image file ?

Yes. After qemu boots the image file, it treats it like a normal
drive. You can save, delete, format, whatever. You can even use
fdisk to put partitions on the image file.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru