baslinux - Re: [BL] BL 3.40 in qemu image

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL 3.40 in qemu image
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 00:45:09 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

[qemu is the 'binary' referred to]

Could Steven or someone post the relevant information about where to get
the binary and what other libraries are needed with it, and how to use it
with FreeDOS and Win98? It is scattered among many postings. Also the
BL3 image suited for use with qemu - or can we use the DOS-loop fs.img
plus any bzimage? Someone please summarize.

Here is the original post:

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/baslinux/2006-April/010133.html

To restate the directions, you need these files from Slackware 9.0:

-------------------------------
l/glibc-solibs-2.3.1-i386-3.tgz
l/zlib-1.1.4-i386-3.tgz
l/sdl-1.2.5-i386-1.tgz
l/esound-0.2.29-i386-1.tgz
l/arts-1.1-i386-2.tgz
l/audiofile-0.2.3-i386-3.tgz
-------------------------------

I downloaded the .tar.gz binary for qemu and unpacked it. Can I safely delete everything in ./bin other than qemu (can't ldd this) and qemu-i386 if I am not going to run software designed for mips, ppc, sparc, etc? This would free up about 5MB.

ldd calls for sdl (do you really need the sound/audio stuff to run a text editor, or arts?) and also libutil (part of glibc? not in BL3.40), both of which are available in SW8.1. It also needs glibc-2.3. Could you or someone compile with/for glibc 2.2.5 and kernel 2.2.26 (or later), with sdl included statically?

zlib is needed by opera 8, and glibc 2.2.5 by opera and precompiled xpdf, but apparently you can compile qemu with glibc 2.1.3.

you need libXext. Get it from Steven's BL3 icewm.tgz
package if you don't already have it.

Can you run (or at least compile) qemu for use only CLI?

The QEMU binary is available from its website:
<http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/>. I recommend the latest release
(0.8.0).

Install all 8 of these packages in BL3 with the 'pkg' command, then
start up X and execute qemu from an rxvt. For example, if you have a
DOS boot disk image:

I doubt you need the whole package, just the library file should do it (and run ldconfig).

qemu -fda FreeDOS.img

Why do you need to start it in X?

That will use up at least 2MB of RAM (Xvesa and rxvt), maybe more for icewm. But DOS programs may not need more than 640K RAM.

David