baslinux - Re: [BL] Copying with 2-button mouse in Xvesa without Xconfig

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Copying with 2-button mouse in Xvesa without Xconfig
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 04:07:02 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

On server (Bl2) export DISPLAY=192.168.1.7:0
in.telnetd -debug

Hold on. What's the telnetd doing there?

I needed it to use the second computer as a real console in CLI mode. That is working fine (serial, parallel or ethernet). I had the X stuff working once over serial cable but cannot follow my notes, however it looks like telnet was also required, and in.telnetd. I telnetted and then exported DEVICE, I think, and the X suddenly moved to the second computer.

> >> On client (Bl3)
startx (having booted with 2-floppy lilo)

To receive X applications from the server,
you don't use startx. You use startxt.

I set up the plip connection and typed export ... on server and then startxt on client and was told 'impossible palette format'.
startx gave me X with window manager since I had used the 2-floppy BL3.

So I switched to two desktop computers connected via ethernet and tried connecting from BL3 to BL2, then BL3 to BL3. In both cases startx worked as expected (gave me icewm) but startxt gave me Xvesa with no window manager or rxvt. My .xinitrc includes two lines before exec icewm which modify the keyboard with xmodmap. I tried without those lines - .xinitrc only 'exec icewm' - no change.

I have lost track of whether the Xvesa was in the resolution on the client or server - I had made them different to tell them apart.

What is it about startxt script that lets you run programs from the other computer in X on this computer? What does export DISPLAY do? Maybe if I understand this I can get it working.

telnet 192.168.1.1

Still don't know why you are trying to do a
telnet link at the same time. It's completely
unnecessary.
I think I got it working with telnet and serial connection once.
Telnetted, started X on the client, switched terminals and typed export DEVICE? I should have taken better notes.

I am in X but cannot run any X applications
from BL2

Because you ran startx (which does not set Xvesa
to accept remote connections).

Where does the remote connection come from? I must have missed some step.
Do I also need to run some demon?

1. Set up ethernet (insmod rtl8139, ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 or 1.2 on both computers).
2. On server export DEVICE=192.168.1.7:0 (What does this all mean?)
3. On client startxt - I get grey pattern with X.

I tried variations (startxt on server, export on client).

If I got this working would it be possible to run X at the same time on both computers?