baslinux - Re: [BL] Copying with 2-button mouse in Xvesa without Xconfig

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Copying with 2-button mouse in Xvesa without Xconfig
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 04:43:06 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Impossible pallette format 1

I've seen that error before. I seem to recall it had
something to do with booting from booting from DOS?
Have you tried booting that machine from the floppy
version of BL3 (which uses lilo).

No, we can try that next. I made a floppy boot disk once with lilo and kernel and may try that first. My partner does not want to use lilo but he got sbm menu working on another computer, I think with loadlin since we don't have lilo. smart boot manager

Would it help instead to bypass system files?

I set up an alias X='Xvesa -2button -screen 640x480x2 &rxvt -e icewm'

Why? It is better to do this via xinit and ~/.xinitrc

startx did not work. Xconfig with 640x480x2 or x4 did not work. The above worked and now it works with mouse and cut and paste. Would .xinitrc work if Xconfig does not? Does BL3 have xinit and .xinitrc?
I am using those in BL2 with Xvesa instead of startx.

You can cut from a file displayed by links,

I could not even manage to cut with the svgalib mouse,

I don't know about svgalib, but in X you need to
press SHIFT to make a cut in links.

Links2 does not work in X on the laptop computer with 4-color Xvesa so I put on svgalib Links2 from Delilinux and the mouse in svgalib does not cut. Are you saying with Xvesa mouse, you cannot cut and paste in text-only Links (0.90 or 2) without pressing SHIFT along with left mouse button? So far we have only tried copying things at the prompt (commands or output) into pico.

Gpm mouse disappears when in svgalib. I wonder if gpm could be used to cut URLS from links (text) and paste into lynx - will try that.
I have links set up as a downloader for lynx - is there some way to set up lynx as downloader for links? Sometimes I run into a page that works better in one of the browsers but usually I start in lynx and then need tables or frames or javascript.

Can gpm copy between vts? That would give us more lines than having to view two things in splitvt. 'Screen' can do that but I forgot how.
Can one copy from a 'real' (dumb) terminal to another terminal with gpm?
Then telnet or connect as dumb terminal with the laptop computer in order to have two screens on which you can work at once, with two keyboards, so that you can write a script on one terminal and try it out on the other and make changes while viewing both. Probably this would not work - you would have to cut with one mouse and paste with the other.

(Can't check right now, I am online with DOS because it shows underlines in TTL and has a scroll buffer and prints email while online).

Is there some way to disable the laptop's onboard ps2
mouse to plug in a serial mouse? Maybe in the BIOS?

On my laptop it's in the BIOS setup. But it probably
depends on the brand of laptop.