baslinux - Re: [BL] Copying with 2-button mouse in Xvesa without Xconfig

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Copying with 2-button mouse in Xvesa without Xconfig
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 19:01:55 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> How would you, on one line, set up an alias
> to go into Xvesa

I wouldn't. Thats what xinit and ~/.xinitrc are for.

> and load icewm and opera?

Why? Once icewm is loaded, you can simply load opera
from the menu.

> I have something that works even if it is not correct.

Really? I though you said you couldn't get rxvt to remain.

> I could not find any way to get past the grey screen
> with X

xinit and ~/.xinitrc

> I also want to be able to go directly from CLI to
> opera since that is usually what I use X for.

~/.xinitrc
-----------
opera &
exec icewm
----------

> I don't understand how .initrc works so I have avoided it.
> Also it is not minimalist,

How exactly is a 46-byte alias more minimalist than a
18-byte .xinitrc?

> I have a bare-bones icewm without icons or menu,

All you are doing is running icewm without its config files.
The menu file is so small and so useful that it's silly to
leave it out.

> How can I get an rxvt to be open after I exit opera,

Start rxvt without the -e parameter.

> Can you suggest some line with Xvesa -screen 640x480x16
> icewm opera and rxvt that will do this?

No I won't. You are barking up the wrong tree. The
standard way of doing this (.xinitrc) is the simplest.
Your alias just gets more and complicated. If you
insist on doing it that way, just start icewm and use
the menu to start rxvt, opera or whatever.

> (And try it out yourself).

I am completely happy with the .xinitrc method and
have no interest in debugging your kludge.

> Is -e the same as exec?

man rxvt

> can I set up several .xinitrc's and choose between them?

man xinit

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru