baslinux - Re: [BL] Copying with 2-button mouse in Xvesa without Xconfig

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Copying with 2-button mouse in Xvesa without Xconfig
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 17:52:08 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

How would you, on one line, set up an alias
to go into Xvesa

I wouldn't. Thats what xinit and ~/.xinitrc are for.

and load icewm and opera?

Why? Once icewm is loaded, you can simply load opera
from the menu.

I want to just type O and get into opera, (or xp to get into xpdf) rather than using a menu, but also have the option of going into icewm (and rxvt) without opera. Even Windows lets you go straight into a particular program.

I have something that works even if it is not correct.

Really? I though you said you couldn't get rxvt to remain.

It gets me to Opera but not back to an rxvt (I will put back the file needed for icewm to run with a menu).

Once I got it to work the way I wanted but it was not repeatable.

I could not find any way to get past the grey screen
with X

xinit and ~/.xinitrc

I also want to be able to go directly from CLI to
opera since that is usually what I use X for.

~/.xinitrc
-----------
opera &
exec icewm
----------

But then xinit will ALWAYS put me into opera and I only want it sometimes but I want to be able to go straight there and then also have an rxvt.

I don't understand how .initrc works so I have avoided it.
Also it is not minimalist,

How exactly is a 46-byte alias more minimalist than a
18-byte .xinitrc?

It saves me time to use the alias. I guess that is not minimalist as far as bytes but it is for time. With .xinitrc I could make an alias X to go into X but then I would need to type Ctrl-ESC and O for opera. I want to type just O for opera, one keystroke instead of four. Not even counting the shift key.

I have a bare-bones icewm without icons or menu,

All you are doing is running icewm without its config files.
The menu file is so small and so useful that it's silly to
leave it out.

What is it called? I also don't have any of the tabs or the picture of the computer or the icons for minimize-maximize at right upper corner.
Those are probably from a theme, which I also left out.

How can I get an rxvt to be open after I exit opera,

Start rxvt without the -e parameter.

Does -e mean the same as exec? Can I type
something like Xvesa &rxvt opera& icewm or do I need exec in there too?

Can you suggest some line with Xvesa -screen 640x480x16
icewm opera and rxvt that will do this?

No I won't. You are barking up the wrong tree. The
standard way of doing this (.xinitrc) is the simplest.
But it does NOT let me go into Opera directly SOME of the time and just as far as icewm the rest of the time. I don't mind using xinit to get me into X without running a program but sometimes I know I want to run opera immediately and might want to run something else later in the same X.

Your alias just gets more and complicated. If you
insist on doing it that way, just start icewm and use
the menu to start rxvt, opera or whatever.

More keystrokes. I have a dyslexic partner who prefers that everything be a single character. On the laptop I set him up with X to get into Xvesa in 4 colors (instead of a replacement 'startx').

He came up with A for mount /dev/fd0 /fd and CD for mount /dev/hdc /cd
and uA and uCD to unmount them and still he sometimes hits the wrong key.
In DOS he has made himself several pages of these 1 or 2-letter commands and can somehow remember them all.

I gave him O for opera and on his computer there is a menu when he quits opera. I will figure out what files I need for the menu and theme on mine.

(And try it out yourself).

I am completely happy with the .xinitrc method and
have no interest in debugging your kludge.

Is -e the same as exec?

man rxvt
I have trouble understanding man pages but will try again. I would like to know what this all means.

can I set up several .xinitrc's and choose between them?

man xinit