baslinux - Re: [BL] Copying with 2-button mouse in Xvesa without Xconfig

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Copying with 2-button mouse in Xvesa without Xconfig
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 22:25:40 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> startxt gave me Xvesa with no window manager or rxvt.

That's right. It's waiting for a window manager, etc.
to be sent from the other system.

> What is it about startxt script that lets you run
> programs from the other computer in X on this computer?

Have a look (both the startx and startxt scripts are
quite short). You will see the -ac parameter in startxt.
It opens Xvesa to remote traffic.

> What does export DISPLAY do?

It sends X output to the Xserver at the specified address
(and gets input from that Xserver).

> Where does the remote connection come from?

>From the system where you type "export DISPLAY=etc"

> Do I also need to run some demon?

Nope. Just an Xserver on one end and some X executables
on the other.

> 1. Set up ethernet (insmod rtl8139,
> ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 or 1.2 on both computers).

ping to confirm your connection.

> 2. On server export DEVICE=192.168.1.7:0

You've got no 192.168.1.7. You did ifconfigs for
192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2

> (What does this all mean?)

The output from X executables run on that system will
be send to 192.168.1.7

> 3. On client startxt - I get grey pattern with X.

What's the address of that client?
Unless it's 192.168.1.7 it will receive nothing.

> I tried variations (startxt on server, export on client).

Don't get confused with clients and servers.
(1) configure your network
(2) startxt on one system
(3) on the other system do:
' export DISPLAY=address_of_system_running_startxt:0
(4) on the same system as (3) execute: icewm

> If I got this working would it be possible to run X at
> the same time on both computers?

You can if you want, but it is not necessary. You don't
need X running on the system that executes icewm. It
seems kinda strange running icewm on a system without X,
but it works.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru