baslinux - Re: [BL] Copying with 2-button mouse in Xvesa without Xconfig

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Copying with 2-button mouse in Xvesa without Xconfig
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 16:21:06 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

How would I put this all on one line?
Xvesa & rxvt & icewm -e opera&

Don't put them on one line. Put them in ~/.xinitrc

I have this one laptop where Xconfig set to 4 colors does not work so I have to get into X some other way than startx.

Xvesa -screen 640x480x2 -2button &rxvt -e icewm

To load opera I had to add another &rxvt -e opera (I think). On the laptop I have BL3 with icewm menu.

On the desktops I set up my own Xvesa with icewm and left out the menu (minimalist). I don't want to go into opera every time I use X and I was hoping to have some alias that let me do X-opera only when I wanted. What I have works, except that when I quit opera I no longer have an xterm. I can install the icewm menu but I was hoping to learn how to have a usable xterm after exiting opera without that. In order to understand things better.

I have not dreamed up a combination that will do better
than get me into Opera but when I exit there is no rxvt.

What's the problem? Just start icewm. Then use the
icewm menu to start rxvt and/or opera.

I don't have the menu on my BL2 desktop with Xvesa. I will add it but I still want to know if there is some way, on one line, to start Xvesa and icewm and Opera and have a usable rxvt onscreen in X when you exit opera.

Xvesa keeps dumping my 80x30 console setting.

That's another of Xvesa's little foibles. The solution
is not to use 80x30. You must be using BL2 kernel or
bare.i. IIRC I configured the BL3 kernel to only use
80x25.

No vga=ask. I put vga=ask into my sound/scsi kernel. I think also into a small kernel for 486 without pci or ethernet suport that I can post if anyone wants it.

In addition to changing back to 80x25, when I exit Xvesa I have lost the cursor on my two mda consoles. I have to logout from the vga console from which I loaded Xvesa to get back the cursor.

Is there some way to automatically put it back when
I exit Xvesa?

No way to add resizecons 80x30 to .xinitrc?

Not that I know of. I spent a lot of time trying to
find a solution last year. Without success. Don't
you love Xvesa?

Wasn't the problem last year to do with loading other charsets such as Spanish?

Yes, it is such fun to look for bugs in Xvesa and see how badly it works with certain video cards.

gpm is also a bit strange - today we discovered that it won't work with two video cards (one cirrus, one Diamond Stealth that also won't work with svgalib or I think Xvesa but is VESA 2.0).