baslinux - [BL] Copying with 2-button mouse in Xvesa without Xconfig

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Copying with 2-button mouse in Xvesa without Xconfig
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 16:30:20 +0000 (UTC)

Is there some way to tell Xvesa that you have a 2-button rather than 3-button PS2 mouse?

On the 486 laptop we are using for BL3, with 1MB video RAM, that does 16M colors in DOS, Xvesa only finds 4 colors so startx will not work. I tried modifying Xconfig to 2-bit color but it won't boot that way.

On a computer with a 3-button mouse, I could

Xvesa -screen 640x480x2 &rxvt

Then I could cut (left button) and paste (middle button).

The laptop has a trackball, with two 'buttons' on the case.

I cannot cut and then paste with both buttons on either computer unless I use startx/xconfig (or in BL2, Xvesa with xinit that loads icewm). I think I also tried &rxvt -e icewm and used the menu to make two rxvts and could not paste between or within rxvts.

If I Xsetup for 2button (even using the 3-button actual mouse) and startx, I can paste with 2 buttons, but startx/Xconfig is not usable on the laptop.

So Xvesa appears to expect a 3-button PS/2 mouse by default.

Is there some way other than Xconfig to specify a 2-button mouse for Xvesa?

If not, maybe we can plug in a 3-button serial mouse.

Also experimenting with gpm mouse in CLI, for use in homework, where you have to write a script and turn in the script and the printout of what it accomplishes. And I just ran across 'script' which saves all screen content to a file.

GPM can be used to cut and paste between VTs of splitvt (which can be done without a mouse using hjkl to block and some commands), as well as from things you type at the prompt into pico. Have not yet tried it with a 2-button mouse and I don't see a way to specify 3 or 2 button :
gpm -t ps2.

Splitvt at 24 lines with pico only leaves about 6 lines to type in (untill I find a way to turn off the menu) so I tried to set up 80x34 but on that particular computer with resizecons things got scrambled - maybe it is the monitor frequencies? Same S3 Trio64 that I am using elsewhere where it works. 132x43 works better but is hard to read.

I got links2 graphical from Delilinux working on the laptop (needed glibc2 from SW71, libjpeg, libtiff, libpng) and will try the svgalib mouse. Maybe links can somehow view local files and cut and paste between them.