baslinux - Re: [BL] Copying with 2-button mouse in Xvesa without Xconfig

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Copying with 2-button mouse in Xvesa without Xconfig
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 06:27:01 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> Is there some way to tell Xvesa that you have
> a 2-button rather than 3-button PS2 mouse?

Use the -2button parameter.

> On the 486 laptop we are using for BL3, with 1MB video RAM,
> that does 16M colors in DOS, Xvesa only finds 4 colors

Is that what it shows when you do: Xvesa -listmodes

> I tried modifying Xconfig to 2-bit color but it won't
> boot that way.

Try the exact modes listed in: Xvesa -listmodes

> So Xvesa appears to expect a 3-button PS/2 mouse by default.

I think that is the case.

> Is there some way other than Xconfig to specify a 2-button
> mouse for Xvesa?

Have a look at /usr/X11R6/bin/startx. It simply takes
the values in /etc/Xconfig and uses them as parameters
for Xvesa.

> Also experimenting with gpm mouse in CLI,

BL1 came with gpm and had a wee configuration script
for it.

> GPM can be used to cut and paste between VTs of splitvt
> I don't see a way to specify 3 or 2 button :

gpm has a -2 parameter and a -3 parameter.
However, they shouldn't be necessary. gpm normally
starts in 2 button mode, but when you press the middle
button (if present) it switches to 3 button mode.

> Maybe links can somehow view local files

links .

> and cut and paste between them.

You can cut from a file displayed by links, but
there is no capability to paste into a file displayed
by links. For pasting you open the file in an editor.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru