baslinux - Re: [BL] Copying with 2-button mouse in Xvesa without Xconfig

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Copying with 2-button mouse in Xvesa without Xconfig
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:02:27 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

startxt gave me Xvesa with no window manager or rxvt.

That's right. It's waiting for a window manager, etc.
to be sent from the other system.

This time I did startxt on client (got X on grey pattern),
then I typed
rxvt - I got one of those on the client screen
icewm - I got that too, in addition to the rxvt
opera - I got opera (no remote connection - not dialled in)

This is much simpler than the rxvt& rxvt -e icewm which I have been using to get into Xvesa with minimal icewm (no menu, no apps).

I wonder if I could just do Xvesa on one terminal of a non-connected computer and then switch terminals and type icewm and then opera.
Yes, I can type Xvesa, then switch to vt2 and type rxvt& and switch back to X and see rxvt. From vt2 I can type exec icewm& (I still have not figured out quite what & does - I cannot manage to get rxvt and icewm and opera to the point where exiting opera leaves me a usable rxvt). If I had done this having typed startxt instead of Xvesa I could then type opera and use it from the server.

What is it about startxt script that lets you run
programs from the other computer in X on this computer?

Have a look (both the startx and startxt scripts are
quite short). You will see the -ac parameter in startxt.
It opens Xvesa to remote traffic.

What does export DISPLAY do?

It sends X output to the Xserver at the specified address
(and gets input from that Xserver).

Where does the remote connection come from?

From the system where you type "export DISPLAY=etc"

Do I also need to run some demon?

Nope. Just an Xserver on one end and some X executables
on the other.

1. Set up ethernet (insmod rtl8139,
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 or 1.2 on both computers).

ping to confirm your connection.

I did that - cables needed to be pushed harder into the connector that we cross-wired to accept two non-twisted ones which we have lots of.

2. On server export DEVICE=192.168.1.7:0
export DISPLAY=192.168.1.2:0
(not DEVICE) - why did someone give '7' as a sample address?

You've got no 192.168.1.7. You did ifconfigs for
192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2
Do I even need the ifconfig for server - 1.1?

(What does this all mean?)

The output from X executables run on that system will
be send to 192.168.1.7

3. On client startxt - I get grey pattern with X.

What's the address of that client?
Unless it's 192.168.1.7 it will receive nothing.

I tried variations (startxt on server, export on client).

Don't get confused with clients and servers.
(1) configure your network
(2) startxt on one system
(3) on the other system do:
' export DISPLAY=address_of_system_running_startxt:0
(4) on the same system as (3) execute: icewm

Since I set up icewm without a menu (minimalist) rxvt (enter) icewm (enter).

If I got this working would it be possible to run X at
the same time on both computers?

You can if you want, but it is not necessary. You don't
need X running on the system that executes icewm. It
seems kinda strange running icewm on a system without X,
but it works.

This way two people could run Opera over the same dialin connection at the same time.

Can you telnet from one terminal and run X from another, in both cases accessing the programs and/or modem connection on the server?

My partner wants to telnet in to our bbs on both terminals at once, with no need to Alt-F1/Alt-F2 to switch, and do a 'talk' with each other. I already have a two-monitor setup on one computer but only one keyboard.
We could do this with two laptop computers and one modem.

Or with the dumb terminal method (serial cable) I could use as client a 386 laptop computer with 1MB RAM, and DOS and kermit on a boot disk and no hard drive. Or use an actual dumb terminal - we have a portable one (plus two dead ones made a long time ago in our city - Ann Arbor Ambassador). Of course no X this way, just CLI. Fine for reading email, links, practicing shell scripts while someone else uses the computer for other things.

Fun. I have to try httpd some time soon. Any other features of BL3 you suggest learning on?