baslinux - [BL] Writing to /tmp

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Writing to /tmp
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 00:51:59 +0000 (UTC)

At my bbs any user can write to a file in /tmp, but in BL that does not seem to be possible. How would I change permissions so that any user, not just root, can write to /tmp? My partner is trying to do homework as 'user' and wants to write files that he can edit as user, or user2, or root. I already did chown -R user /home/user so he could write to files in the /home/user directory.

He is learning the differences between ' ', " ", and ` `.

I know BL's were set up as single user systems but that is not stopping us from trying to make them into something else. Last year he compiled with BL1 (while the rest of the class was using Windows).

We put SW81 on one computer but he seems not to be interested in it - too unfamiliar and too large.

We had to installpkg sh_utils.tgz so he could use who (not required in a single-user system). Any other packages that should be installed for a course in linux tools and scripts? I installed a few more shells.

Also, one question involves making up a command which prints out something about a user in the passwd file. Does BL2 have a non-standard passwd file that he will have to justify to the instructor?