baslinux - Re: [BL] device or resource busy

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] device or resource busy
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 18:54:53 +0000 (UTC)

Thanks. I have IRQ 9, 11 and 12 free in linux, and io 140 and 340.

I notice that a lot more things are free in linux than in DOS, where the IRQs appear to be taken by both serial ports and the printer port even when they are not in use (here only the serial port in use has an interrupt assigned to it). In DOS IRQ9 is taken by IRQ2 cascade and in linux it is free.

I tried the isa scsi card with insmod aha154x (?) io=340 irq=12 and various other combinations that should have worked and every time was told 'device or resource busy'.

Today while testing three 3com ethernet cards we learned that if a card is not pushed in all the way you can get that same message, also if you try to use the wrong module for it. But one of our cards (once we bent the slot cover so we could push it in all the way) let us insmod and ifconfig and it still refuses to work. This card has a second slot (the others have one little slot along the edge with the gold fingers, this has two).
It came out of a newish (for us - 600MHz, 1999) computer.

I am pretty sure our scsi card was pushed in all the way, and it was listed in several places as taking the module we tried it with. Maybe it is a broken card that is not sending the correct signal back to the driver module. (Similar to cards that don't match the module or are not pushed in all the way, it won't send the right confirmation signal).

How do I rmmod an ethernet module? It also tells me 'device or resource busy' when I try. Can I undo ifconfig eth0 somehow? lsmod says rtl8139 ussed by 1 - what is that?