baslinux - Re: [BL] device or resource busy

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] device or resource busy
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 19:13:46 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

insmod aha152x io=340 irq=12

insmod aha152x io=0x340

And also irq=12?

it appears to require modprobe which BL does not have.

Nothing requires modprobe. modprobe is simply an
automated form of insmod (it automatically installs
helper modules). Any module can be installed with
insmod, but with some modules you need to insmod a
helper module first. For example, the following
do exactly the same thing:
------------------ --------------------
insmod 8390 modprobe ne io=0x320
insmod ne io=0x320 --------------------
------------------

I had to do this with the non-3com isa ethernet cards.

But the iw program for linux provided by Iomega (via Ron), when I try to run it, gives some error message about modprobe not found, therefore I think it is trying to run modprobe to insmod something. If I manually insmod the module, hopefully I will be able to access the zip drive without iw (and maybe iw will work anyway, since the module is there already). I will try this in linux first with the card that we know works in DOS.

Might this card be bad?

Yes.

It came with the same batch of three computers as the three 3com cards (2 good, one bad board, 2 good, one bad card) to be recycled.

I will, now that I know all the IRQs except 10 are free, and both addresses are free, give it one more try as

insmod aha152x io=0x340 irq=11

(In DOS devicehigh=aspi2dos.sys /P340 /Q11)

If that won't let me load the module, recycle the card.

I just put together my first computer from components (it all worked on the first try except for one of the hard drives jumpered wrong) and it has FOUR isa slots so I will try this card in there. We were putting it in and out of something with 2 already-filled slots for a few days.

While setting up this computer we found that BOTH our drives had EZ-DRIVE on them, which interferes with PQMAGIC and MS-DOS fdisk and MS-DOS format.
FreeDOS managed to fdisk the first drive but then could not format it.
MS-DOS fdisk won't do multiple partitions.

We finally low-level formatted the drive and then PQMAGIC worked.

On the second drive we managed to bypass EZDRIVE somehow (hold down Ctrl while booting, hit A or C) and partition it with PQMAGIC but then could not format the result. Linux fdisk said it was not partitioned. So I tried using fdisk to partition (and mke2fs) and it worked. I suggest not using PQMAGIC on EZDRIVE (or low-level formatting to get rid of EZDRIVE
but that did not work on one drive that said it was 'write protected' when we tried).

But PQMAGIC checks for bad sectors and does a slow and thorough job. Linux cfdisk does not appear to check for bad sectors. How would we do this in linux before mke2fs? Or do we just need to low-level format if we are going to use linux cfdisk?

BL2 ramdisk linux cfdisk.

We ran into THREE EZ-DRIVE drives in a row (540M 1G and 2.4G) - this is something the maker put on the BIOS that takes over from normal BIOS so you can use a larger than 504MB drive on an old BIOS.

I don't know what the 'write-protect' business is. This drive also had S.M.A.R.T. which was not turned on - ??? Can we get rid of these in order to low-level format?