baslinux - Re: Printing with gs , was Re: [BL] Writing to /tmp

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Printing with gs , was Re: [BL] Writing to /tmp
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 15:26:16 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, sindi keesan wrote:

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

How would I change permissions so that any user,
not just root, can write to /tmp?

chmod a+w /tmp
Thanks, this worked. My book did not have a, just o (others) which I don't think worked, and u (user) and g (group).

Does this produce files which are still the property of the user who wrote them, and that no other user can write to? If so, is there some way to make all the files in /tmp writeable by all? The idea is to be able to edit them later if you are not that user, or even root.

Another question. I downloaded a tax form which ghostscript (for DOS, Win98 and linux which I compiled) displays shifted down about a third of a page, and it also prints that way (2/3 on the first sheet of paper, the last 1/3 on the next sheet of paper).

I was just informed by the person who helped me compile gs that this is a form designed to be filled in (electronically?) which gs cannot yet handle correctly. If I had longer paper I could print it on that.

There are about 11 lines to be filled in by hand, and it has at least 11 extra line feeds at the beginning. Perhaps I could somehow convert to ps and edit them out? (I was able to edit a color ps file to mono one time so that it would print on my mono printer - motherboard manual with decorative colored accents at every page top that refused to print otherwise unless I converted to image format).

I will be posting the compiled gs once I figure out why my uploads are

keesan.freeshell.org/gs850.pdf

James, could you post this please, with a note that it requires BL2 with glibc2.2.5 (might work in BL3 with upgraded glibc), includes epson and okidata printers but not bmp or fax formats as devices, has been tested as working with epson and deskjet drivers, and on files that are all image or all text, and requires x11 to display because lvga256lib and vgalib would not compile.

mkdir /usr/local/share/ghostscript/fonts and copy over the old ghostscript fonts from /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts (or unpackage the SW71 gs fonts package and copy them manually to that location).