baslinux - Re: Printing with gs , was Re: [BL] Writing to /tmp

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Printing with gs , was Re: [BL] Writing to /tmp
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 20:03:26 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, James Miller wrote:

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, sindi keesan wrote:

I was just informed by the person who helped me compile gs that this is a
form designed to be filled in (electronically?) which gs cannot yet handle
correctly. If I had longer paper I could print it on that.

Take a piece a scrap paper and some scotch tape and tape the scrap piece
to the back of a good piece such that about 2/3 of the scrap hangs out
over the good one. Feed that into your printer, scrap end first. It may
take a bit of trial and error to get the exact placement of the scrap
paper right, but I would think the second attempt should work if the first
doesn't.

Good idea, but I just remembered we have a pile of wide fanfold paper that I was saving for this sort of application (and now we even have a wide Okidata 9-pin printer, given to us to recycle).

I am trying to run a business and taped paper would not really impress people with my cleverness. It also might get stuck in the fax machine - I am supposed to sign and fax someone the form. I finally signed the 3/4 page, which luckily ended just above the instructions.

keesan.freeshell.org/gs850.pdf

Of course I meant gs850.tgz, sorry.

James, could you post this please, with a note that it requires BL2 with
glibc2.2.5 (might work in BL3 with upgraded glibc), includes epson and
okidata printers but not bmp or fax formats as devices, has been tested as
working with epson and deskjet drivers, and on files that are all image or
all text, and requires x11 to display because lvga256lib and vgalib would
not compile.

This new gs can deal with JBIG2 and Adobe pdf1.5, which earlier versions could not, but not with files formatted to be filled in (like tax forms), for which use xpdf, or convert to ps with pdftops from xpdf then view the ps file with gs.

XFree86 is recommended rather than XVESA if you want to enlarge the onscreen copy - zoom with Ctrl-Alt-(grey+).

mkdir /usr/local/share/ghostscript/fonts and copy over the old ghostscript
fonts from /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts (or unpackage the SW71 gs fonts
package and copy them manually to that location).

Is this really a pdf file? I'll try and get to it soon. Lots to do at the
moment, so forgive any delay.

Since nobody else has expressed any interest in the new gs, no hurry, and I will leave it at my site for a while. The file is nearly 5MB.

I might try compiling gv or ghostview but they seem to require various other things that we don't have in BL2. widgets. The widgets might also need to be compiled. For gs I also had to compile zlib, libpng, jpeg, jbig2dec, and jasper (or at least configure for them).

What is a widget?

Unrelated, but the zip drive mini-HOWTO said for scsi zip drives you need only the scsi modules, then the card module (possibly with io and irq), and you can partition and format the disk with fdisk and mke2fs. iw may be needed if the disk comes preformatted for DOS and is locked and you want to reformat it.

We were offered a second working scsi card with a different cable.

In kernel 2.0, you could not set up to both print and use a parport zip drive on the same port, had to rmmod lp to use ppa, which is apparently only for parport zip drives. You still need the three scsi modules but not a scsi card module, use ppa (or for later models) imm instead. With luck you should be able to plug the printer into the zip drive if you have only one parport.