baslinux - Re: [BL] can Xvesa zoom?

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] can Xvesa zoom?
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 03:01:44 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Ctrl-Alt-+ or - changes screen size in Xfree86

Only when two (or more) screen sizes have been
specified in /etc/XF86Config

So it is not infinite magnification, just switching between resolutions? That won't be of much help in reading tiny print. I need more pixels for the same area of the document.

but not in Xvesa.

Which done not use /etc/XF86Config

Can Xvesa also enlarge the screen image somehow?

Not on the fly AFAIK.

I cannot read the gs display in X.

Try a different -screen when you boot Xvesa.

I used the highest resolution, but gs insists on cramming the entire page of document onto the screen at once (screen height = page height). Maybe there is some switch that will show the top half of a page at a larger size instead. That is the only way I can read the small print, more pixels not just bigger version of the same illegible page.

Perhaps I can come up with a default config file that
will work on anything VESA 1.2 or greater, with any
monitor, using that server, and assuming 2MB RAM and
1280 max resolution. Steven, perhaps you want to try
this

Such a config file would be no good to me. The maximum
resolution on my best monitor is 800x600. My other two
monitors are 800x600 and 640x480.

Well, how about max resolution 800x600 and 512K RAM? Same as you did for Xvesa, but a config file that will work in X at 256 colors so we can all use links2 and abiword on laptops that won't do more than 256 colors.

I was talking about me coming up with something generic for our desktops which all have 2M video ram, which is separate from the laptop issue.

This would let BL users use computers that only go
to 256 colors with abiiword and Links2

Or you could simply install the appropriate X packages
from Slackware 4.0 (and run xf86config). The Xserver

But xf86config is a real pain to get working right. It took me several days for each card. I stopped bothering after two cards and switched BL2 to Xvesa (which of course took even longer but it is easier now).

designed specifically for your video card (and correctly
configured for your monitor) will display better than
the generic Xvesa in BL3.

I don't care if it displays perfectly right now, I just want it to display better than Xvesa on a 256-color laptop without taking hours of work for each new computer. For instance set it to the minimal monitor settings.

I will see what I can do.