baslinux - Re: [BL] Kernel upgrade

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Kernel upgrade
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 17:27:47 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

I was reading the notes in SW71 contrib which said to
use the old version of gcc there to compile the kernel

You've got it backwards. The README says *not* to use
the GCC there for compiling the kernel. Use the normal
egcs package in /slakware/d1

I've heard that 2.95.3 is one of the best compilers
to use.

Is that the same as egcs?

I think you snipped a bit too much. You mentioned another version number with a 66 in it and I asked if that was the egcs that is in the /slakware directory. /contrib has two versions of gcc.

In the past there were differences between egcs and
gcc (hence the different version numbers), but egcs
is now the gcc compiler.

Can you chroot between two linuxes with different
kernels,

It depends on the kernel config. Some filesystem
options (like devfs) require a particular capability
in the kernel. If you chroot to such a filesystem
using a kernel that lacks that capability, you will
get nothing but errors (because crucial files cannot
be found).

I don't even know what devfs is. If we were to put Slackware 9.1 on the same drive as Bl2 in its own partition, could we boot with Bl2 and chroot to SW91, assuming we set it up similarly to BL2 (same file system).

but should we pick something with the same kernel
or nearly so

Old distros are less likely to have problems. But
(unfortunately) the newer distros keep get fancier and
fancier. Automatic functionalty is wonderful for the
dummy user, but it bloats the installation and increases
the potential for chroot incompatibility.

How about two versions of Slackware with different kernels?
I was thinking of adding Slackware 91. so that when something goes wrong with BL2 we could try in Slackware 9.1 (such as compiling when the compiler cannot find something it wants - is this a problem of the older version missing the needed parts, or did BL2 maybe leave them out).

and delete anything I don't want.

You need to be careful what you delete (the BL3 config
is already *very* slim). Each item has a HELP page
(press ?). I suggest you read it carefully before
deleting.

I have deleted much of what the full gcc package installed that appeared to relate to things other than i386, or to hardware I never expect to own (ham radio, joystick). Nothing from the original BL3 except when setting up a single-floppy version for non-X non-PCMCIA non-ethernet (removed modules and all of X).

I wonder if I accidentally removed too much and therefore two programs will not compile, but perhaps they expect a later gcc. The most recent complaint (from gs) was about the sanity check and cpp. I tried SW81 gcc which did not help. I may try the full SW81 installation to help trace where the problem is. The other program is SANE, an old version which ought to compile with SW71 or even older

How much extra memory would it take up to include
sound in the kernel?

I don't know. I have no interest in sound.

I know you don't, but perhaps you know how much RAM is taken up by including the ability to use the sound modules, not by actually including sound capability. I will try kernel compilation once I succeed in compiling gs (figuring out what is wrong with my system for compiling).

BL3 worked pretty well on my Compaq 486 but the other
Compaq 486, a newer one, has problems with Xvesa.
(Only found 4 colors of the 16M).

My laptop does only 16 colors, but that's all I need
for MagicPoint.

Links2 needs more colors in X (but not in SVGAlib mode). Some day I will attempt to compile it that way for BL3.

our digital camera (serial download) is 10 years old
and all the new ones are USB.

Some of the new ones use CF cards (which can be read
on a laptop via a cheap CF-PCMCIA sleeve). BL3 does
not currently have a PCMCIA module for reading CF
cards, but it would be a lot easier to add than USB
(and it could be used on any laptop with a PCMCIA slot).
I believe many digital cameras store pictures as jpegs
(which BL3 is currently able to display).

How would one use one of these cameras with a desktop computer and BL?
Are there ways to add card readers for other types of memory cards?