baslinux - Re: [BL] Kernel upgrade

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Kernel upgrade
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:36:38 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

If we were to put Slackware 9.1 on the same
drive as Bl2 in its own partition, could we
boot with Bl2 and chroot to SW91, assuming
we set it up similarly to BL2 (same file system).

Probably. I've never installed Slackware 9.1
so I can't be sure what the default filesystem
is like.

We will try it soon, to see if SW91 will work with the 4X CD burner that won't work with earlier versions than kernel 2.6 because of a kernel bug. If so, could we simply use that kernel with BL2 (and the modules to go with it)?

I was just able to mount -o loop the BL3 fs.img from BL2 ramdisk and chroot to it. I thought you needed more space for BL3 than a ramdisk.
We were trying to find some way to use sed and user at the same time - BL2 ramdisk has 'user' and BL3 loop has sed.

Does BL3 installed to hd provide some way to log in as user and if not, how can we add that? My partner is taking a Unix Tools course and wants to work as user. I can add more users in BL2 but BL3 does not have a login even if I add user to passwd (there is no shadow file). I already put BL3 on his laptop computer to handle PCMCIA. Would it be easier to add PCMCIA to BL2 than login to BL3?

I have deleted much of what the full gcc package
installed that appeared to relate to things other
than i386, or to hardware I never expect to own
(ham radio, joystick).

The operative word is "appeared". It is easy for
an inexperienced user to delete something important.

I will try compiling on my partner's BL2 where I did not delete things and if that works, reinstall glibc on one of mine.

perhaps they expect a later gcc.

I have never found the gcc version to be a problem.
The usual sources of difficulty are: library version,
kernel version, missing utilities.

Would you like to look at my config.log to help figure out if I am missing some utilities, if the undeleted BL2 computer also won't compile?

perhaps you know how much RAM is taken up by
including the ability to use the sound modules

Nope.
I will figure it out myself some day.

How would one use one of these cameras with a desktop
computer and BL?

There are cheap adapters to plug CF cards into IDE slots.
They show up in Linux as HDs. I believe it is common for
CF cards to carry DOS filesystems.
They are not cheap new ($54). I could buy a used serial camera for that.

Are there ways to add card readers for other types of
memory cards?

There are IDE units (same size as a CDrom drive) which
have diffferent slots for CF, SD, memory stick, etc.
One sold on our local auction last week for $10. I was
tempted to bid on it, but I don't have a digital camera
(nor any CF cards).

I will hunt around for used ones. Did not find any just now at ebay.