baslinux - Re: [BL]486 Laptop Modem: Was: Kernel upgrade

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL]486 Laptop Modem: Was: Kernel upgrade
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 12:48:00 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, sindi keesan wrote:

> Has anyone run across bad choices of 486 or 586 laptop other than our
> Compaq with the color video incompatibility? The 486 Compaq with
> mono LCD worked okay in 4-bit greyscale.

I was fiddling with a Compaq Presario (1260?) that wouldn't display
properly with Xvesa or fbdev. Weird colors and barely legible. Though I
wasn't using BL, I think the problem would hold for any distro that runs
Xvesa (I tried several). My Epson Actionnote 390c (486) only does 4 bit
color, though I read on the web somewhere that it's supposed to work with
the SVGA xserver. It has chips and technology video. Since it won't do
more than 4 bit color it's really only usable for text mode under BL.

James