baslinux - Re: [BL] working as 'user' in BL2 and BL3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] working as 'user' in BL2 and BL3
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 00:13:40 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

My partner reports that he cannot save a file
while working in BL2 as 'user'.

Probably a permission problem. Make sure 'user'
is the owner of /home/user and all the subdirectories.
If not, login as root and do this:
------------------------
chown -R user /home/user
------------------------

Was 'user' intended to be a template for making other users, rather than to be used as 'user'? If you ever redo BL2 could you put some note in passwd about chown being needed? Or set things up so user already has permission to write to the user directory?

The adduser (useradd?) program seems to automatically do chown. When we added another user with it, it could write files to disk. I then modified passwd to log in without a password for that user.

Would we need to add 'login' binary to BL3 to be user? You probably explained this before.

cat /dev/ram0 > /tmp/ramdisk.
I had only the ram0 and ram1 mounted and the contents
of ram0 were smaller

The perceived contents is irrelevant. cat /dev/ram0
gives you the entire 4mb (including garbage bytes).

df showed that the number of bytes on /dev/ram0 was less than the free bytes on ram1. So it should have fit, I would think. Something like 3600 vs 4000 free.

than ram1 but it filled ram1 and ran out of space.
ram1 is mounted on /tmp automatically

So you were trying to put 4mb of data on a filesystem
with less than 4mb of available space. Even a virgin
4mb ramdisk is unable to store a full 4mb (because of
filesystem overhead).
Less than 4M on /tmp which had 4MB free. 4027 or similar. A small fraction of /tmp was not free.

I will try this again some time with BL2 ramdisk.