baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 x 2

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 x 2
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:06:40 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> Optimized for our hardware? DO you mean, like bare.i,
> it contains a lot of stuff we don't need?

No, bare.i is not optimized. When you configure a
kernel, you have the option of specifying which CPU
the kernel will run on. You then get special routines
to maximize performance on that specific CPU. The BL3
zimage.4dx kernel gets the best from a 486 CPU. It is
unsuitable for a Pentium or 386 (and might even crash).

> Apart from using the smp.i or our own kernel, do we
> need any other special software?

I don't think so (but I've never had a dual CPU system
so I'm not positive). There is a SMP-HOWTO.

> Anyone know if 2x200 is as good as or better than 400MHz?

Slightly worse, I think. There's some overhead associated
with coordinating the two CPUs.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru