baslinux - Re: [BL] Kernel upgrade

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Kernel upgrade
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 20:51:00 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> I was reading the notes in SW71 contrib which said to
> use the old version of gcc there to compile the kernel

You've got it backwards. The README says *not* to use
the GCC there for compiling the kernel. Use the normal
egcs package in /slakware/d1

> > I've heard that 2.95.3 is one of the best compilers
> > to use.
>
> Is that the same as egcs?

In the past there were differences between egcs and
gcc (hence the different version numbers), but egcs
is now the gcc compiler.

> Can you chroot between two linuxes with different
> kernels,

It depends on the kernel config. Some filesystem
options (like devfs) require a particular capability
in the kernel. If you chroot to such a filesystem
using a kernel that lacks that capability, you will
get nothing but errors (because crucial files cannot
be found).

> but should we pick something with the same kernel
> or nearly so

Old distros are less likely to have problems. But
(unfortunately) the newer distros keep get fancier and
fancier. Automatic functionalty is wonderful for the
dummy user, but it bloats the installation and increases
the potential for chroot incompatibility.

> and delete anything I don't want.

You need to be careful what you delete (the BL3 config
is already *very* slim). Each item has a HELP page
(press ?). I suggest you read it carefully before
deleting.

> How much extra memory would it take up to include
> sound in the kernel?

I don't know. I have no interest in sound.

> BL3 worked pretty well on my Compaq 486 but the other
> Compaq 486, a newer one, has problems with Xvesa.
> (Only found 4 colors of the 16M).

My laptop does only 16 colors, but that's all I need
for MagicPoint.

> our digital camera (serial download) is 10 years old
> and all the new ones are USB.

Some of the new ones use CF cards (which can be read
on a laptop via a cheap CF-PCMCIA sleeve). BL3 does
not currently have a PCMCIA module for reading CF
cards, but it would be a lot easier to add than USB
(and it could be used on any laptop with a PCMCIA slot).
I believe many digital cameras store pictures as jpegs
(which BL3 is currently able to display).

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru