baslinux - Re: [BL] Kernel upgrade

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Kernel upgrade
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:47:24 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> gcc 2.7.3 is recommended, 2.95.2 is said not to work for
> compiling the kernel

Says who?

> and I was trying to use 2.95.3 from SW81.

I've heard that 2.95.3 is one of the best compilers
to use. Personally I've never had a problem with
any of compilers provided by Slackware. 2.91.66
(from Slackware 7.1) works fine. So does the
compiler in Slackware 3.5. I've even successfully
used the compiler on the Slackware 3.2 live CDrom
to compile a kernel (via chroot).

> I really should learn to compile my own kernel
> eventually.

It's not rocket science:
------------
make config
make dep
make bzImage
------------
You will then find the kernel in arch/i386/boot

If you are confused by all the options in the
config part, you can copy the BL3 config to .config.
Then when you do 'make config', the defaults will
give you the BL3 kernel (just press ENTER on every
line).

> Is anyone in this group still actually using a
> non-laptop 486?

The 486DX laptop is my primary target. That's why
BL3 has PCMCIA and MagicPoint. That's why I am
thinking about doing a wireless package.

I have three Toshiba 486 laptops (all with PCMCIA
slots). BL3 is ideal for those machines. I use
the best of those laptops for all my presentations
(using MagicPoint running on BL3).

> people are now giving us working 200MHz pentiums

Before Christmans I was given a working 200MHz Pentium
desktop. Socket 7. 32mb RAM. Windows 95 (that's how
I was able to produce the smbclient package). No USB
port -- so a BL3 USB package would be useless even on
that 200MHz machine.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru