baslinux - Re: [BL] Kernel upgrade

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Kernel upgrade
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 04:30:25 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

gcc 2.7.3 is recommended, 2.95.2 is said not to work for
compiling the kernel

Says who?

I was reading the notes in SW71 contrib which said to use the old version of gcc there to compile the kernel because the newer one has certain problems. On the CD. I forget the exact file it was in.

and I was trying to use 2.95.3 from SW81.

I've heard that 2.95.3 is one of the best compilers
to use. Personally I've never had a problem with
any of compilers provided by Slackware. 2.91.66
Is that the same as egcs?

(from Slackware 7.1) works fine. So does the
compiler in Slackware 3.5. I've even successfully
used the compiler on the Slackware 3.2 live CDrom
to compile a kernel (via chroot).

Can you chroot between two linuxes with different kernels, say BL2 and SW81? I noticed you can run a different linux on each terminal and my partner wants to compare how SuSe and BL2 run scripts, for instance, but should we pick something with the same kernel or nearly so, such as SuSE 6.2 not a later version? (I expect the scripts will run the same).

I had problems of the same sort trying to compile SANE and gs - the configure program could not find some files that I had so I had to add after CFLAGS in the makefiles '-I' and the path to the files (soething about bits and linux - /usr/src/bits/linux/ ?) Maybe I am missing something that I deleted accidentally? Anyway, I put on the later compiler and it is still not working (2.95.3). I was going to try compiling gs on a full SW81 setup - is it likely to still work on BL2 with the SW81 glibc? There was another problem with cpp. The gs note said to use version 2.7.2 (3?) or later, or some of the earlier versions of gcc but a few between 2.5 and 2.7 had problems.

I really should learn to compile my own kernel
eventually.

It's not rocket science:
------------
make config
make dep
make bzImage
------------
You will then find the kernel in arch/i386/boot

Last time I tried to compile a kernel module I followed all the directions, got a huge crash that took a while to fix, and some error message saying it could not do what I wanted it to do. This was for a winbond ethernet card module. I gave up.

If you are confused by all the options in the
config part, you can copy the BL3 config to .config.

And add sound and delete anything I don't want. Change to pentium.
(No sound on my 486 laptop).

Then when you do 'make config', the defaults will
give you the BL3 kernel (just press ENTER on every
line).

Some time soon. Still trying to get Christof's downloadable fonts to print correctly in Czech and then Russian.

Is anyone in this group still actually using a
non-laptop 486?

The 486DX laptop is my primary target. That's why
BL3 has PCMCIA and MagicPoint. That's why I am
thinking about doing a wireless package.

How much extra memory would it take up to include sound in the kernel?
Are there 486 laptops with sound?

I have three Toshiba 486 laptops (all with PCMCIA
slots). BL3 is ideal for those machines. I use
the best of those laptops for all my presentations
(using MagicPoint running on BL3).

BL3 worked pretty well on my Compaq 486 but the other Compaq 486, a newer one, has problems with Xvesa. (Only found 4 colors of the 16M).

Who else is using which modem 486 laptop and does Xvesa and the rest of BL3 work for you?

BL works fine on both our pentium laptops, both Toshiba, with sound.
Mine is 166MHz with 24MB RAM. I guess this can handle the larger bare.i kernel.

people are now giving us working 200MHz pentiums

Before Christmans I was given a working 200MHz Pentium
desktop. Socket 7. 32mb RAM. Windows 95 (that's how
I was able to produce the smbclient package). No USB
port -- so a BL3 USB package would be useless even on
that 200MHz machine.

We were given a couple of PCI cards that you can use to add USB.
Not to a laptop though. But I think there are quite a few of us in this group using BL on desktop computers and learning a lot from the experience. And even though a regular Slackware would work on our computers, I much prefer your approach of keeping things smaller and more efficient. It is sort of a nuisance remembering to use bare.i kernel when I am playing with sound.

If I ever learn to compile a kernel I will include USB and sound module support. How much extra RAM would the kernel require for this?

We were in the past year given four 233-266MHz boards with USB, a 133MHz with USB, and more recently a 350MHz with USB, not counting the dead 600MHz that we just replaced the capacitors on. Three years ago we were given three computers with USB. So far we only have one USB device (a scanner) but our digital camera (serial download) is 10 years old and all the new ones are USB.