baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 x 2

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 x 2
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 04:43:52 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

I read that you need smp.i kernel (Sw71 has it) to
use both cpus

Yes, the smp.i kernel is designed for systems with two
CPUs (both CPUs should have the same specs). However,
the Slackware smp.i kernel has not been optimized.
You will get better performance by compiling your own
SMP kernel optimized for your CPUs.

Optimized for our hardware? DO you mean, like bare.i, it contains a lot of stuff we don't need?

We don't care about performance at the moment, just curious as to how this works. Apart from using the smp.i or our own kernel, do we need any other special software? This computer is also interesting because it must have been a server, and has USB, IR, lots of ISA and PCI slots, and 6 large bays - enough for a zip drive, PCMCIA slot, CD and DVD drives, 360K floppy drive, and a little box that you can put hard drives into (in a second smaller case) and use to move data between computers (we have two such sets). The box connects to the IDE controller.

There are also 8 SIMM slots. No worry about not enough memory for the standard smp.i kernel. If this works, we can learn to compile the kernel on this machine to support pcmcia, zip, etc.

Anyone know if 2x200 is as good as or better than 400MHz?